Monday, January 3, 2011

The Artists' Daughter (altered book spread)

For the altered book round robin in which I participate, I needed to create a spread for a book called "The Artist's Daughter." I changed it a bit and began with this page and the thought, "If I were the artists' daughter,".  When you flip up the baby portrait (painted by Frida Kahlo), it reveals this two page spread:
The journaling reads: "These two would be my parents, I think. Diego Rivera with his political art for the working class.  Frida Kahlo with her color palette and symbols of Mexico." Diego Rivera painted the pictures of the hands on the right.  Kahlo created the rest.  I kept the background bright and fairly simple.  You turn the page to find this two page spread:
The journaling continues:  "But that could never be, of course.  But I can still honor their work, as if I was the artists' daughter."  The picture of Frida on the left flips down and there's some more journaling: "We have other things in common.  Poor Frida could not bear a child.  Nor could I."  The woman on the right was painted by Diego Rivera.  All other art work was done by Kahlo.  I know the journaling is a bit emotional and personal, but those are two things that I have always admired about the artwork of both Rivera and Kahlo.

If you were "the artist's daughter" or "the artists' daughter," who would the artist(s) be?

No comments:

Post a Comment