Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sewing is Not Hereditary (last call)

I am very happy to be a Guest Artist at the Gingersnap Creations challenge blog this month, but I have to confess that I was a bit scared when Ali told me that this month's theme would be "sewing and fashion." Because, as many of my blog friends know, I don't sew.  I don't own a sewing machine.  I don't stitch on layouts or use fabric.  I've tried, but it's really not my thing.  I blame 7th grade Home Economics, which I  all-but failed when I couldn't gather the yolk or put a zipper into my sewing project (a smock; it was 1973 after all).  But I've jumped in with the challenges, and I'm having a ball.  My submission for "notions" will be up on Wednesday, and it's very me.
Meanwhile, I've used this opportunity and Shimelle's prompt on using a thesaurus to reflect on the fact that it's a shame I can't stitch because sewing is definitely something that runs in my family.  I created today's art journal page about it. Here's the journaling:
"I come from a long line of seamstresses and needleworkers.  My Tia Lupe could tailor, stitch, seam and sew with the best of them, creating an endless succession of matching dresses for her nieces.  My Grandmother Ontiveros crocheted thousands of granny squares for hundreds of quilts, tatted lace doilies and embroidered multitudes of pillowcases and table cloths.  My sisters are also quite handy. Tricia made her own wedding dress; Cordelia makes quilts.  My daughter Clara even got into the act last summer, piecing a quilt and constructing pillowcases and purses. Me, not so much.  I all-but failed home economics in Jr. High because I couldn't gather the yolk or put in the zipper on my project (a smock; it was 1973, afterall). I have come to the sad conclusion that sewing is not hereditary."
Do you sew?  Did you learn from your family?  Are you passing it on?
***********************************************
Last call to enter the friendship blog hop give-away! I'll be drawing the winner tonight (Sunday) at 9:00 p.m. California time and will post the winner about noon on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment