Friday, May 18, 2012

Picks and Pans: Books, Classes, TV, Film, Products, etc.

I always love hearing about good books, TV shows, films, classes, etc. from my bloggy friends (or even things I should stay away from). So, I thought I'd open up comments this weekend asking you to share a recommendation or warning.  I'll try to gather them together and post a list next week. Here's a few from me:
Book - I just finished Stephen King's "11/22/63," and it was gripping enough to keep me up late into the night (and inspire today's art journal page). It's about a man who travels back in time to stop the assassination of John F. Kennedy. It's not a scary, horror book, but it's compelling.  It could have used an editor (it really didn't need to be 1,000 pages), but it was still a fast read and raised lots of interesting questions.
Products - I love Dina Wakley's original release of stamps from Stampington (used in today's AJ page), and she just released some new ones! You can check them out here.  I also used Tim Holtz's Distress stains - I thought for sure I would fall in love with these, but I haven't yet . . .
Class - Cheryl Johnson is running her Beautiful People portraiture class again. I took it, and I loved it. You can register at this link.  My class review is here.
Movies - Last weekend Paul and I went to see Dark Shadows. I was pretty disappointed.  All the good, funny bits were in the previews. It never became either a full on comedy (like Austin Powers, for example, which is what I was expecting) or an exciting Sci Fi/ Fantasy movie (like Star Trek, for example) or a scary movie.  It will no doubt come out on video at Halloween time, and it would be an okay rental. But save your money and see something else at the theater!
TV Show - I have totally enjoyed Awake on U.S. television this season. Unfortunately, it was cancelled! It is sort of like Life on Mars, (which has both a U.S. and U.K. version). It's available on netflix or itunes if you want to check it out.  I also like the U.S. show Grimm, and it was actually renewed for next year!
Please share your thoughts on the good, the bad and the ugly! It's one of the best things about visiting blogland after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment