Sunday, October 24, 2010

Food as Mile Markers of our Lives

Welcome to the Let's Eat blog hop, organized by my wonderful Australian blog friend Amy. You can read all about the blog hop and find the master list on her blog here. If you're following the blog ring, you probably came from Sian's wonderful blog, "From High in the Sky". Or perhaps you're one of my regular readers just popping in to check things out.  In either event, welcome! When you are done digesting my post, you should skip on over to see Helena, she's quite the Creative Maven.
Certain foods conjure up very strong memories for me - sometimes of an event, sometimes of a restaurant and sometimes of a period in my life.  Tostadas, cheese enchiladas, mole and fried chicken take me back to my childhood. Round Table pizza and Safeway birthday cake remind me of when the kids were little, and I ate these processed foods several times a month! The recipe I'm sharing today - a wonderful curry featuring farmer's cheese and peas - is one developed by my husband  and which recalls another wonderful time in my life.
We were young, married and fully enjoying our life as "DINK's" (Double Income No Kids) in the San Francisco Bay Area. We loved food and wine and each other. We'd often watch cooking shows together and experiment with all kinds of food. We'd spend most of Sunday reading the New York Times, maybe over french toast or fabulous bagels. We made big batches of pesto and yummy blackberry jam in the summer. We had time to relax and talk and read.  It was a magical period of our lives. 
Since Paul is a vegetarian, he was always experimenting with new recipes to find something that we would both found yummy and satisfying.  This one is based loosely on "Cheese Curry" from Vegetarian Dishes from around the World by Rose Elliot. Any time I eat it (or any good Indian food), I find myself transported back to that wonderful, exciting time in my life when we were just starting out. I love how food does that. And I'd love to food to hear of a food that serves as a mile marker in your life.
Thanks for reminiscing with me! Once you're done, click on this link to head over to see what Helena is cooking up today.

No comments:

Post a Comment