Tuesday, July 27, 2010

But tonight was a different story . . .

My son's Juniors Little League baseball team won their game tonight, 15-1.  There are now only four teams left in the state tournament, and they are one of them.  They play tomorrow night at 5:00 p.m. Still loving the hipstamatic camera for night photos.  Thanks again for all your good-luck wishes!


To my art friends, I promise to return to real artwork after tournament play.  


In the meantime, let me add a little bit of the bigger picture to the baseball photos.  DS Henry and I are staying up in Sacramento about two and a half hours from home.  Many of his teammates are staying here, as well, and it's a lot of fun for them.  They spend time in the hotel pool, eating too much fast food, taking in a few movies and just hanging out.  I think he may remember that as much as anything else.  
One thing I'll remember is the last out of tonight's game.  We were very far ahead, and we just needed one more out to end the game.  Our coaches put in one the youngest players on the team to pitch the out.  He's a great kid and special to many of us in one very important way.  His dad was president of our local Little League for many years, and he passed away last year.  Far too early.  And when I saw Chet out there on the mound, I felt Dave's presence.  I could imagine him hanging out over by the outfield fence in right field, smoking a cigarette and watching the game.  And I knew he would have been so proud of his son.  And of all the boys.  Because he truly believed the game was for the kids.  But tonight, I felt like that out was for one very special man who we all miss.  That out was for you Dave.

No comments:

Post a Comment