Saturday, July 17, 2010

Let's Talk Markers (Motherhood Art Journal Page)

I made this art journal page to capture some of the feelings about motherhood I mentioned in my post yesterday.  The journaling includes the quote from yesterday, as well as two others:
* “When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.” – Sophia Loren and
*“She never quite leaves her children at home, even when she doesn't take them along.” Margaret Culkin Banning.  I found these and other great motherhood quotes at this website.

The Gingersnap Supply Challenge for this month is "markers."  When I first started scrapbooking, I bought about a dozen pigma thin point markers to use for journaling and doodling.  As I got into stamping, I bought another couple dozen brush markers (mostly zig and close to my heart) to make multi-colored stamped images and to color-in images.  Over time, I realized that I don't really like coloring things in.  It's just really not for me. So, I don't do it very often.  When I do, I tend to use a water brush and either twinkling H2O's or radiant pearls.  I love the look that people like Jacky achieve with markers on their cards, but I just don't have the patience for it.  So, I have steadfastly refused to invest in more markers or enter the world of "copic" markers, which seem to be the latest and greatest marker on the market. 
I did want to make a marker creation, though, so I thought I would try using markers for a background technique called "not-quite-white" that I love but find a bit tedious to do with paint.  The markers worked great!  The background technique is one favored by the impressionists and which I used in an art journal page I posted here.  You basically add small dashes of pastel paint onto a white background to make it not-quite-white.  I will definitely use markers instead of paints for this background in the future.  I also used markers to color my stamped images and to doodle around the edge.  All-in-all, I ended up really happy with this page and glad I broke out my markers.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on markers!

No comments:

Post a Comment