Friday, June 11, 2010

Getting into the fluid flow of summer

In the Harbor (acrylic paint on plaster)
Today's artwork was created in response to the Creativity Boot Camp prompt "fluid."  Today's prompt also suggested creating something outside your typical style.  So, I went with an abstract piece.  Definitely not my style, but I'm okay about trying out new things every now and then.  On the other hand, I really do like developing a particular style and creating within it right now.  I think it's really helping me create art that is uniquely me. And I'm not wild about this piece, called "In the Harbor."  It reflects some of the things I saw in my walk around my harbor neighborhood the other day.  I really struggle with abstract pieces and don't see myself doing many more of them. How do you feel about abstract art?


"Fluid" also made me think of the start of summer . . . The kids' school ended on Thursday, and I'm thrilled to be out of the "up at 6:30 am; run around all day; oversee homework; put them to bed" rut!  
Oddly enough, I did get up at 6:30 am this morning anyway, but it was to watch the opening game of the World Cup - South Africa v. Mexico!  We'll definitely be watching a lot of soccer this summer, as the whole family are big fans.  DS Henry and I watched the game this morning on the Spanish language station, Univision, instead of ESPN.  Even though ESPN has credible announcers (not as good as the BBC) and even though I don't speak Spanish (Henry does), it was still way more exciting to watch it in Spanish!  Tomorrow of course is the biggest game of the qualifying round for us  - U.S. v. England.  I don't hold out a lot of hope for our boys, but, given England's propensity to self-destruct (apologies to all my UK followers), anything is possible.
On tap for this summer - DD Clara starts Jr. Lifeguards on Monday (five hours at the beach everyday; she loves it).  Then she'll go down to Southern California to visit cousins.  In August, we'll head up to Lake Tahoe for a week.  DS Henry is playing on three different baseball teams - as long as the games don't conflict with the World Cup.  He's also got a regular volunteer job lined up starting at the end of the month, working at a sports camp.  I'm teaching a class two nights a week this summer -alternative dispute resolution.  By doing so, I'll have a much lighter teaching schedule next year.  I actually started back this week already! During the days, I hope to spend time in my art studio and work on some research and writing for my real job.
So, what's up for you this summer?  Are you World Cup followers? Any big plans?






No comments:

Post a Comment