Thursday, October 27, 2011

Let's Talk Arenas of Consumption

Here's the last of my scrapbook pages from my vacation to the Seattle, Washington and the San Juan Islands.  It was inspired by a prompt in Shimelle's Pretty Paper Party scrapbooking class that called for using a border punch.  She mentioned that pulling out a tool like a border punch was a good way to try to get your money's worth out of it. I don't have any border punches, so I pulled out another punch instead.  
The prompt did get me thinking about some of the recent popular tools in scrapbooking that I have avoided:
border punches;
copic markers;
texture folders;
die cut machines;
anything that requires sewing.
In each of these, I've congratulated myself on avoiding a large "arena of consumption" where I could easily find myself collecting one of everything in a given set (and then, too often, letting them gather dust). 
There are, however, many arenas of consumption in which I dabble:
paint;
spray inks;
stencils;
ephemera;
paper.
Over time, I've tried to find my style so that I only dabble in those areas where I know I will use the products.  I'm not perfect, but who is?
So, what arenas of consumption do you enjoy dabbling in? Are there some you now wish you avoided? 
************************************************
"Let's Talk" is a semi-regular series to discuss interesting topics in scrapbooking, photography and paper crafting. I'll leave this up for a few days, in hopes of getting a good discussion. I use this label when I am sincerely interested in seeking people's opinions and input. 

No comments:

Post a Comment