Saturday, October 22, 2011

Mixing Polka-dots and Stripes and Other Patterned Paper

A recent prompt in Shimelle's Pretty Paper Party class involved mixing polka-dots and stripes. Easy-peasy! I'm a pattern mixer from way back when. I can actually identify the "when." It was when I bought Ali Edwards' book, "A Designer's Eye for Scrapbooking with Patterned Paper."  I think the book might make my blog friend Amy break out in hives, but I found that it really transformed how I viewed my stash. For the layout above, I cut apart some polka dot paper and added it to the striped paper with the whale and also layered it onto the plain card on the left.  (Remember, you can always click on a picture to enlarge it and see details). A few things I particularly liked about the layout was the extensive journaling, the use of ephemera, and (of course) the picture of the pirate. It's a fairly subtle mixing of patterns.
Want something bolder? Check this out:
I'm willing to admit that it's pretty bold. But I think it sill works. I don't feel like the pictures get lost in the patterns. And, since it comes from the kit I assembled for my vacation pictures, it "fits" with the surrounding layouts.
So, what's your comfort level in mixing patterns? Are you more like Amy or are you more like me?

No comments:

Post a Comment