Friday, November 18, 2011

Let's Talk Drawing and Sketching

When I teach art journaling class, I encourage my students to draw on their pages. Nothing complex - simple shapes like hearts and houses.  Maybe a bird. But that's as far as I've ever taken my drawing, so I think it's unfair to push others to places where I am not comfortable  venturing myself.  But I've been thinking a lot lately about drawing and sketching. (I even drew the self-portrait above). So, I thought I'd open up the topic.  Do you draw in your art journals or other crafting? 
If so, why? What draws you to it? And how did you learn?  Do you have any great resources to suggest? Or blogs that feature drawing or sketching? 
If not, why not? Is it lack of interest? Lack of ability? Fear?
Here's a few cool links I have found lately:
Carla Sonheim's blog is all about drawing, and she has a very cool book that I would like to buy. I found her through this post at Alisa Burke's blog;
Jean of Blue Birds Living in the Meadow draws and paints in her journals;
Gloria it totally free and folk-arty in her drawings and paintings, which feature Frida and other Latina inspirations;
Pippa learned how to draw doodle birds and has established a wonderful business around it
Laurie in her Lone Black Bird incarnation occasionally draws and sketches.
Carrie at Rosalind Revival shares her Grandmother's Journals in posts like this one;
One of my blog friends went to Africa this summer and drew all kinds of wonderful sketches in her travel journal, but I can't remember who that was? Let me know if it was you!
I'll leave this topic up for a few days, as I'd love some input! ("Let's Talk" is a semi-regular series designed to inspire frank discussion and sharing of information on issues relating to photography, art and blogging).
**************************************************************************
Today I am grateful for: My work colleagues who are smart and interesting and, actually, a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment