Saturday, November 14, 2009

Creating in the Style of . . .



I love these pieces.  I created them, and they speak to me on some very deep level about motherhood and the beauty of children.  But I have a problem with them.  I worry that they aren't truly "mine."  You see, each was created in the style of another artist.    "Homemaker" was created in a class taught by Judy Wise through Artful Journey. I modeled my collage on a couple of her pieces, called "Nonnie" and "We Were All Angels", found in the June 4 post on her blog, which you can find (with some scrolling) here. "House of Love" was created using an article by Kelly Rae Roberts in the magazine Cloth, Paper, Scissors. Edited to add: I found a link to one of Kelly Rae's prints that she has for sale which uses the same technique that I used for House of Love.  You can see it hereI have also made other work, which I love, based on classes I have taken with Connie Andrews.

So, I worry if these pieces are somehow not my art. Kelly Rae Roberts has written her opinion about this issue.  It's a very reasonable opinion, but it still worries me because I'm not sure I follow all her rules, and I think of myself as a very ethical person and artist.  I just know that I internalize what I learn, and I'm sure it comes out in what I teach and sell.  So, I don't work in her style anymore.  Tim Holtz has never published anything on his philosophy, but I have corresponded with him by email, and his approach is "go for it."  As long as you don't reproduce his class handouts, he's all about teaching and putting the ideas out into the universe.  He figures nothing but good can come of it. I find it all very confusing and a little disturbing.

My children are adopted but they are "mine" to their core.  I wish I felt the same about all my art.  Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment