Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Stencils, Masks and Inchies (and another first kiss)

The Studio L3 Compendium of Curiosities Challenge this week is "masks."  I love masks and their reverse partner, the stencil. I used Tim Holtz' music mask to create an art journal page on the Creative Therapy prompt, "My First Kiss."  Although I already did this page about my actual first kiss in kindergarten/first page, I wanted to do another page about the first time I kissed my husband. I remember it very clearly - it was on a cold, starry night in Berkeley, and my heart definitely felt like a kickdrum! The lyric is from the Avett Brothers.
And here's another art journal page that uses both a mask (Heidi Swapp butterflies) and a stencil (a swirl from Club Scrap).
The clipart is from Stampington's Somerset Studios. It's of an old cabinet card, which bore the notation, "refused to smile."  It just really made me laugh! I used an inchie from my collection that said "remember" because it was such a perfect fit! And, the current Gingersnap Creations Random Redhead Challenge is all about using inchies.  How perfect is that!
I think I tend to use stencils more than masks.  They seem a little more user friendly to me.  What about you? Do you have a preference?

No comments:

Post a Comment