Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Family Connections through Blogging

I have lots of cousins. How many? I always thought the number was 51 first cousins! The other day I sat down to list them and found to my surprise (and shame) that I couldn't remember all their names.  So, I'm working on putting together a list of them.  They mostly live in Houston, Texas, and I don't see them much, so it's harder than I thought. 
Luckily, I have reconnected with two of my Houston cousins this year (one on my mom's side of my family and one on my dad's side of the family), and I have sent them emails to see if they can help. The funny thing is that I have reconnected with them through this blog! I started my blog in a Shimelle class and my main audience has always been folks from that initial class.  Over time, some of my local friends and immediate family have started to follow and stop by occasionally. And I am thrilled that some of my more distant cousins are now in the mix.  My favorite recent discovery (courtesy of my cousin Rose) is the identity of the little girl in today's art journal page.  I use her a lot - you usually see her standing on a chair. I always assumed it was someone not directly related to me - someone from my Uncle's side of the family.  But it turns out it's actually my cousin, Buggie (Okay - her real name is Antoinette. Can you blame everyone for calling her Buggie? By the way, it's pronounced with a long U vowel sound and with a southern accent, so it sounds more like boogie.)  And that's her father, my Uncle Tony - my mother's eldest brother - standing next to the car.  I always knew his identity, and now I get to connect the two!  That makes me really happy. Have you connected with any distant family through your blog?

No comments:

Post a Comment