Saturday, May 21, 2011

My Grandmother's House

I know I kindof promised myself that I would make a heritage/genealogy layout for each memory card I made (see this post for an explanation), but I have to admit that I love making the cards more than I love doing the layouts.  And they're much faster.  So, I do have layouts planned for this card, as well as a couple others. But I decided to put a couple up anyway because I'm off traveling this weekend and won't get to the layouts until later.  The card up top has memories of my Grandmother's house and is based on the Card Sketch challenge at the Counterfeit Kit blog.  Both of my mother's parents died before I was old enough to know them, as did my dad's father.  But I did get to know my Grandmother a bit. . . about as well as you can get to know an adult that you only see once or twice a year and with whom you don't share a common language (she only spoke Spanish; I only spoke English).  But, I still have fond memories of my Abuelita (as we called her).  Here's what I wrote:
"Grandma's house was full of interesting things. . . a foot powered sewing machinge; a hand cranked clothes washer; a huge bag of animal crackers.  Out back, there was a clothesline and I think I even recall an outhouse with a crescent moon cut in the door.  I remember sleeping on the living room floor during sweltering Houston summers, trying to stay cool under clean crisp sheets, listening to cicadas, worrying about flying cockroaches, and waiting to watch Speed Racer in the morning with my cousins."
My children, at 13 and 16, still have two grandparents around (my husband's parents), but I really wish that they got to know my folks better before they passed away.  Did you get to know your grandparents  Do you have any special memories of them to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment