Sunday, March 25, 2012

Let's Talk Paper Piecing

This week, "The Art of Wild Abandonment" (the online class I'm taking) is focusing on paper piecing and using other texture elements. It's not something I've done a lot of in my art journals, but I found it a lot of fun.  It is also a good way to use up patterned paper, so it fits perfectly into Ali Manning's De-stash Challenge to use patterned paper.  For this page, I paper pieced some quilts which fit three different sides of my personality (my inner country girl, my seaside home, and my urban/rocker chick self). I'm really quite happy with it.
The Wild Abandonment class is co-taught by Christy Tomlinson who I take it does a lot of paper piecing in her "She Art" classes.  She has this very cool video on her blog where she makes a canvas using some of her product line that allows you to skip the paper piecing part of a She-Art canvas. Paper piecing does seem to be coming a bigger and bigger part of paper crafting.
So, let's talk paper piecing.  Do you do it? Do you like it? Hate it?
Is using pre-made paper-pieced products "cheating" or just part of the fun? 
Are punches and quick-cut, sizzix, etc. dies better or worse than cutting things my hand?  
Is it "original" art to use premade shapes? Does it matter?
Do tell.  I'd love to hear your opinions.
************************************************************
"Let's Talk" is a semi-regular series designed to inspire frank discussion and sharing of information on issues relating to photography, art and blogging. 

No comments:

Post a Comment