Saturday, March 10, 2012

Sunday Inspiration

I've been working on art journal pages inspired by my photography.  You can see a one here and one at the end of today's post.  Today, since its Sunday, I'm sharing this page based on another photograph.  I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I laid down white paint in the shape of the angel and then went in to add the outline with black paint and sharpie marker. It's similar to the process for making faces starting with either watercolor or acrylic "face blobs" that I learned in Carla's 101 Faces Class.  Here's the inspiration photo:
The only element I drew out of it was the angel. I love the shape of the angel, as well as its symbolism and personal connection (my late mother made it for me).  So, it felt right in this page reflecting on the value of a religious upbringing.  I'm definitely feeling much more confident these days with my drawing and painting.  The various classes are really starting to pay off. 
P.S. To answer my challenge from yesterday, the art journal page was actually based on the photograph of the bicyclists in the Cambridge alley.  When I went to complete the page, the background and sun/moon face were already on the page.  In looking to complete it,  I drew on the sense of scale, the sky and sense of movement in the photograph.
Can you see the connection between the journal page and the photograph?

No comments:

Post a Comment