Monday, March 5, 2012

Mosaic Butterfly Mini Album (March Monthly Make)

I'm trying to work my way through a variety of project kits I have purchased over the years, so I joined the Felt Fairy's Monthly Make Project.  For March, I decided to make a cute little mini-album from Club Scrap.
You start with one piece of 12x12 printed paper, which you fold, cut, and fold again until it turns into an accordion album.  The paper had a garden theme, in purple and greens.
The project kit left the cover design up to the artist, so I decided to make some mosaic butterflies using this fabulous technique featured on Tim Holtz's blog.
While I was playing, I made two extras.  I'm keeping this red one:
But I'm sending this purple one to Deb for her Butterfly Project (read more here). While you're at it, you might want to check out my cousin Irene's wonderful post about the Project, her visit to the Houston Museum and her fabulous stained glass butterflies (click here to read it).
In making the butterflies, I followed Tim's instructions pretty closely, although I just traced the butterflies onto grungeboard because I don't have any of the dies.  I then cut a piece of wonder tape around the right size, attached it to the grungeboard and trimmed. I used liquid platinum embossing powder instead of cement. I also used highly textured pieces of paper for my mosaic (most of them were extra backgrounds made in technique classes).  I love how they turned out.
Have you tried Tim's technique yet? Made any butterflies? Doing the Monthly Make? If so, feel free to add a link, and I'll be sure and stop by.

No comments:

Post a Comment