Thursday, February 18, 2010

Using Angle in Photography

The Develop on Friday photo class had a great lesson recently on using angle as your storyteller.  The assignment was to take pictures with five different angles.  I worked on it when shooting some snowplay pictures last weekend.  The picture up top is my favorite.  I shot from below and zoomed in on the action.  It really gives you the perspective of DD as she built her snowman.  Compare that with this picture of DS, which was also shot from below, but from further away.  It gives the perspective of him as an individual in big world:
During a snowball fight, I took two pictures are eye-level or even with my subjects.  In the first one, I'm telling the story as an observer (loved capturing that smile on DS's face) and in the second one, I'm telling the story as a participant:
Finally, here's a photo I took from above, which gives a feeling of vulnerability.  It's DD with her snowman.  I posted another snow picture of DD taken from above earlier this week, and you can see it at the end of the post here.
I really enjoyed this lesson, and I feel like I learned a lot that I can bring to my sports photography, my travel photography and even my basic family photography.  How can you see yourself using angle as a storyteller in your photography?

No comments:

Post a Comment