Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Playing with Speed (Photography lesson)

Part of the assignment for the Get out of Auto Mode photography class this week was to shoot in "shutter priority" mode at a low and a high speed, to see the different effects.  I decided to complete the assignment at DS Henry's baseball game on Saturday. For the photo above, I set the shutter speed to 1/40 (the camera set F25 and ISO 400). I like the effect of the blurred bat and hands.  For the photo below, I set the shutter speed to 1/1250 to freeze the action and you can see the ball coming in clearly (the camera set F8 and ISO 400):
 It was a good experiment, but I had trouble getting a really clear focus for the higher shutter speed.  Frankly, I think I just do better shooting in "sports" mode.  For example, this pitcher:
So, the next day when I went to DD Clara's swim meet, I put the camera on sports mode and got this nice picture of her best starting dive ever:
I'm glad I learned about shutter priority mode and can definitely see myself using it when I want a blur; but, for freezing the action (which tends to by my preference), I think I'll stick with sports mode.  Do you think that's wimping out?  Or just being smart?  Do you prefer sharp pictures that freeze the action? Or pictures that give you speed and movement through blur?
By the way, if you come back tomorrow, you'll see a cool (IMHO) art journal page about change, and be able to read a big announcement!

No comments:

Post a Comment