Friday, August 6, 2010

Politics, Religion and Art

Did I scare you away with that that title?  Here's the art:
Here's the religion:
When I picked "horizon" as my word of the year, I made a list of a variety of different horizons I wanted to explore this year, and one of them was my religion/faith. I've enjoyed using art journaling to help me in this exploration, and I realize that I am a faith-filled person who believes deeply in many aspects of my Catholic faith, but I have a lot of trouble with many of the actions of the Church as an institution.  I haven't resolved what, if anything to do about that, but it is an important insight for me.

Here's the politics:
This week, a federal court in California found that California's Proposition 8 which banned same-sex marriage was unconstitutional.  It was a wondrous and surprising opinion, especially because it was written by a conservative judge who had brought several prominent law suits against gay rights groups before he was appointed to the bench.  When faced with the evidence, he just had to conclude that such a ban discriminated against gay men and lesbian women in a way that violated the U.S. Constitution because there was no justification for it other than prejudice and hate. I was shocked and really pleased with the decision.  I've run this photograph on my blog before but I just couldn't resist running it again - in celebration of the decision.  On the other hand, I was saddened and not surprised that my Church, a big proponent of Proposition 8, will be fighting the decision.  Sigh.  I just don't get it.
Okay, off my soapbox now.  Tomorrow, back to pretty pictures! And, there will even be the start of a week-long contest with a fun prize or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment