Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Summertime Photography & Snapshot Scavenger Hunt

Yea! My exams are graded and turned in, so my summer can officially begin.  To celebrate, I completed the page above in my smashbook sketchbook (and, yes, I did this one in less than ten minutes). The page started with a bird transparency stapled in the corner. I added a piece of patterned paper, to which I added my favorite summertime saying and some ink around the edge.  I then tucked two feathers(which I found on my Chinatown outing) into the transparency pocket and called it done.
Also, to celebrate the start of summer, I'm announcing a summer-long photography and snapshot scavenger hunt! I really hope you'll join me and play along. Last summer, my crafty friend "Young Nancy" would occasionally post photographs on her blog that were part of a Summertime Snapshot Scavenger Hunt. The blog for last summer's hunt with their list can be found at this link. The idea intrigued me, so I decided that this summer I would try my hand at hosting one.
The rules are very simple:
1.  By June 20, choose a team of family or friends. Email me (or post a comment below) listing your team members (of course you can use pseudonymous if you are concerned about privacy).  This date is flexible if you want to join later.
2. On June 21 (the first day of summer), I will post a list of scavenger hunt items. There will be 21 items on the list.  You will have until September 23 (the first day of fall) to photograph as many of the items as you can find. Please do not stage or "doctor" a photo.  The idea is to have fun finding each of these things.
3. There will be three different divisions for participants:
A. Snapshot Division.  This is for those of you who want a pure scavenger hunt. Your mission is to find each thing on the list. To prove you found it, each photograph must contain at least one member of your team.
B. Photography Division. Each photograph must contain the item, but you do not have to include a team member. This is for those of you who want to show off your photography skills.
C. Overachiever Division (snapshot and photography). You send in two photographs for each item on the list - one with a team member in the photo and one emphasizing your photography skills.
4. On September 23, send me all 21 (or 42) of your photos, with a caption that includes the item from the list, the name (or nickname) of the team member in the photo, and a short description of where you found the item. I encourage you to post photos on your blog as you find them or send me a copy.  Every week or so, I'll post a compilation of some of the shots.
5. Of course there will be prizes! The prize for the Snapshot Division is a gift card for MPIX to get your photos developed and a mini album (made my me!) in which to put your 21 photographs.  The prize for the Photography Division is a larger gift card to my favorite photo processing site (MPIX), sufficient to order an 8x8 "standout" of your favorite photograph.  The prize for the Overachiever Divsion will be a free pass into a Shimelle class (either "My Freedom" or a new fall class if she is offering one by then). The winner will be the team which finds the most items on the list.  If there is a tie, I will draw a winner at random.
6.  Anyone, in any country, can play.  Even if you're in the southern hemisphere and heading in to winter not summer. I'll try to keep that in mind when drafting the scavenger hunt list.
******************************************************************
I think that's it.  Sign up below if your interested or email me at rinda1961@yahoo.com. Also, please feel free to post any questions you have. I think this is going to be really fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment