Monday, January 18, 2010

Art Journals Then and Now



These are my two most recent art journal pages.  Both were created using soft pastels, in response to prompts about Mary Cassatt in the Masterful Art Journaling class I'm taking.  The top one is reminiscent of one of my favorite photos, which I posted on my blog a while ago here.  The other is a variation on my "The Butterfly Seller."  What I find interesting about both of these and everything else is my current art journal is that my current art journal really is more of a sample book, with some very nice finished pieces of art work that evolved from some of the samples.  My current journal is not really a visual diary, although the journaling above ("This is the wardrobe of the girl I am inside my head. The clothesline of my inner artist.") comes close to that type of art journaling.  My original art journal (from 2006 - which truthfully only ended up with 5 entries over two years!) was a a bit more of a diary.  The "Rain Out" page was how I was feeling one spring when the Little League baseball season got almost completely washed out, and the boy cried all the time!  I'm sure both types of art journals are wonderful, and I want to make room in my creative time for both!  Now, to just figure out where altered books fit into the whole picture . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment