Monday, January 11, 2010

Back to Work ("Anna's Work" mixed media collage)


It's Monday, and the start of another work week. How do you feel about work?  I have to admit that I'm conflicted.  I love my job (I'm a law professor - surprise!). It's incredibly rewarding and flexible.  But I wish I had more free time.  I study and write about the world of work, and, while that world can be harsh and abusive to many, it can also provide a road to advancement and personal fulfillment. This piece, "Anna's Work," is dedicated to Anna Escobedo Cabral.  She was the Treasurer of the United States under President Geroge Bush.  She has an amazing and interesting life story, which you can read here.  That's her signature on the waistband of the dress (Yes, I really did tear up a real $1 bill).  She is the very smart daughter or Mexican immigrants in Southern California.  When she finished high school, she was simply going to go to work to help support her family, but one teacher convinced her to go to college and helped her apply.  Although clearly capable in the world of business, she repeatedly put her career on hold to help her family and support her husband. Eventually, she became the highest ranking Latina in the Bush Administration. I bet our politics are very different, but I admire her.  I also willing to bet that she has conflicted ideas about the world of work, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment