Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Class Review: Art Journaling 101 & Blog Events

I just finished Art Journaling 101 with Dina Wakley at Get it Scrapped, and it was terrific!  Since I'm not enrolled in any other classes this month, I thought I'd go ahead and post the review now.  The class focused on keeping an art journal as a diary of your daily life, as opposed to keeping an art journal as a sketchbook of ideas. (For some of my thoughts about these two different types of art journals, you can read my post here.)  As such, it focused on translating daily written journaling into art journal pages.  It was a four week class, and each week contained two lessons - one on creating the artwork in your journal and one on the journaling or text portion of the journal.  Dina presented a wonderful method for creating both artwork and journaling, as well as how to integrate them.  There were also weekly videos which presented even more information.  I could not have been happier with the class! I created about a dozen pages, all of which captured events and emotions going on in my life right now.  It helped me develop my artistic skills and work through my feelings about a variety of things.  It truly is art journaling (as art diary) at its best!  The page I featured today is a two page entry about doing laundry.  I know it seems mundane, but I spend a lot of my time doing laundry, and it was fun to journal about it.  You can click on it to see more of the details.  I'm known as the "Laundry Queen" at my house, and the layout presents laundry as a fairy tale because it truly is a never-ending story at my house! 


For my regular blog readers & House Party attendees, here's some updates. I wanted to let you know I updated yesterday's post with stamp credits for all those bird stamps, in case you need to go shopping.  Also, the house kits are starting to land. I'll have a tutorial up on Thursday or Friday. Finally, next week, Ali Edwards is running her "Week in a Life" project, where people are encouraged to capture their everyday life.  I did the project in 2008 (you can see some of it here), and I liked it a lot.  I feel like the art journal from this class is capturing the same thing.  So, next week to play along with Ali, I will post an art journal page each day that represents my daily life!

No comments:

Post a Comment