Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Something from Nothing Album Complete + Transparencies

I finally finished up my album from Shimelle's "Something from (almost) Nothing" class.  I'm pretty happy with it, especially because I didn't buy a single thing to complete it! I even had this acrylic album front (with corresponding bookboard back that I covered in dragonfly paper), a stack of 6x6 pages and 6x6 page protectors.  The final prompt was to use transparencies.  I had two 12x12 transparencies featuring birds and vines (one in white and one in black), and I used them to finish up the album.  I put one behind the acrylic cover (above) and wrote my signature on the transparency.
I used the black transparency to make a complete page in the middle of the album.  Here's the front (remember, you can always click to enlarge any image):
Since my album contains favorite photos, I decided to use a self portrait (it's my reflection in a  mirrored picture frame in the L'Orangerie Art Museum in Paris.  I added some camera eyelets and a quote by Aaron Siskind: "photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever . . . it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything."  The light orange paper on the background is actually paper on the back side of the transparency.  Here the back of the transparency in the album:
I put in a picture of our seasonal bowl filled with ducks, which is what DD Clara put in there in January (don't ask me why). I decorated the page with ribbon, flowers, hearts punched out of patterned paper and brads.  Finally, I used the rest of the white transparency (and one more camera eyelet) on a simple page which is the last page of the album. It's my first (and still one of my favorites) self-portraits:


Come back tomorrow for the altered house tutorial.  You can see how I transformed this pile of material into the beach shack below.



No comments:

Post a Comment