Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February Self-Portrait: Write On

The February theme for the "In the Picture" self portrait challenge is "Write On."  I took a picture of my hand holding one of the butterflies I created for Deb's butterfly project, remembering children who perished in the holocaust. The writing on the butterfly says "to honor and remember." I chose to feature the butterfly in my self-portrait because it it is a reflection of me in so many ways - it's my artwork and very true to my style.  It includes photographs of children from Houston (my Aunt and Uncle) and it will be going to a museum installation in Houston. I love the full circle feeling of that. Finally, my father liberated a concentration camp in World War II. His account was chilling and has always stuck with me.  It's a self-portrait because it includes my hand. But it's also a self-portrait because it includes my heart and soul.
*********************************
For other self-portraits, check out this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment