Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Peek Inside My China Buffet (10 on the 10th)

Not too long ago, Stacey of Havoc and Mayhem posted about the various sets of dishes she owns. It got me thinking about my own sets of china and how I store them.  Especially as this year I am working on cleaning, organizing and purging my home - room by room. And I had to admit that there were several boxes of dishware lurking in my laundry room, of all places. 
And that probably meant the laundry room was a good candidate for my attention.  This beautiful Japanese tea set, as well as some awesome depression glass arrived in the laundry room from my Aunt Vera's house in Texas.
My sister and I cleared out her house after she passed away, and I claimed these, as well as her china.
I put the china in my china cabinet, but the rest of the boxes got shelved in the laundry room. We keep our china - a Noritake set we chose when we got married - in the buffet.
When we got married, we also got a full set (plus lots of serving pieces) of Pfaltzgraf stoneware.
The stuff was indestructible. After 20+ years of marriage, we still had a full set.  But we were horribly bored with it.  So, I gave it all away (except for this serving piece which somehow escaped the freecycle), and we purchased a simple set of white French apilco blue-banded porcelain dishes.
The simple white china with the gold band on top is our "kids china." We bought four plates like this for the kids to use when they were little, and we were using our good china.  We bought them at an antique/thrift store. Because we've always loved visiting these stores and adding to our collection of blue willow china.
I guess the truth is that Paul and I have both always had a soft spot for china and glassware. We even bought some beautiful poppy countryware from Herend when we were in Hungary.
My own addiction probably started with the Belleek jar pictured at the top of the post.  My best friend's mom gave it to me for my high school graduation and told me that she thought it was time that I started collecting something. Obviously, she wouldn't be disappointed!  
But at least I can now say that all my china is nicely stored in the living room buffet and china cabinet AND my laundry room is beautifully clean and decluttered.
************************************************
For more blog posts featuring ten things on the tenth of the month, go to this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment