Sunday, February 26, 2012

Jeweley or Camera: What's a Girl to Do?

Regular blog readers will know that, as part of my one little word for 2012 ("home"), I've been organizing and decluttering my house - room by room. One project that resulted from this was a need to organize my jewelry, repair some damaged pieces and refurbish others.  In particular, I had three loose stones (a diamond from my original engagement ring and two emeralds from my Uncle) which I wanted to have made into a new piece of jewelry. Working with a local jeweler, we found this ring design, which I really like and which will fit my stones perfectly. But then things went a little sideways. They quoted me a new price, which was about 10% higher than the original one. They gave some explanation, but it just didn't feel right to me. So, I walked away from the arrangement.  My husband has offered to talk to a different jeweler (the new ring is a combination birthday/valentine's day present).  Alternately, it looks like I could get a new camera for about the same price - the Nikon D5100, to be precise.
He correctly points out that I've been talking about a new camera for quite a while, as I've outgrown my Nikon D50.  And the D5100 would fit me perfectly.
So, what do you think? Jewelry or camera? What's a girl to do?
**********************************************************************
Weekly 2012 one little word check in.  This week,
1. I organized the tall cupboards in the kitchen, which hold our liquor, stemware, cookbooks, table linens and appliances.  The most interesting things I threw away were half a bag of birdseed (no idea where that came from!) and four different editions of Robert Parker's Wine Guides.  Also got rid of a never-used pasta maker.
2. Paul pruned the fruit trees. I had tried to call several different tree guys but that didn't work. So, Paul did them. Although it wasn't me, I still feel like it was an accomplishment. Similarly,
3. Paul organized the spice cabinet.  He threw away things that expired last decade! Although I didn't do it, the task is still done. And I know he's been inspired by my efforts. So I'm adding it to my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment