Thursday, February 2, 2012

PPF: Prayer Flags O'er my Home

I've been thinking a lot about prayer flags lately. It seems to me that they could be the next big thing in the world of crafting design. They would build on the bunting/flag trend but bring an ethnic and spiritual flavor as well.  Plus, I think we're ready to move away from all the vintage colors into something a little brighter (but still subtle). So, when prayer flags start popping up on stamps and patterned paper, you can say you read it here first!
Today's acrylic painting is a page in my art journal. I definitely see myself turning it into a canvas in the not too distant future (sans journaling). Prayer flags are hung in two different styles - horizontally between two points or vertically on a pole. Traditionally, there are five flags, flown in the colors and order shown above.  The center of the flag features a winged horse, and there are four spiritual animals (an eagle, a dragon, a snow leopard and a tiger) in the corners. Mantras are written on the reverse side. I'm happy with my stylized versions of these animals on the prayer flags flying over my home.  My "home" and the journaling both refer to my "one little word" for 2012 - I'm tending this year to my physical home, the relationships which form the home for my heart, and also striving to find my artistic home.
Thanks for stopping by for Paint Party Friday (for more great painting, go to this link). Tomorrow, come by to see some of my 29 faces and stop by Sunday for Storytelling Sunday (Photo Version).
And do tell, what do you think about my prayer flag theory?

No comments:

Post a Comment